The Walk
It suddenly struck me I've walked that stretch of gray square-tiled open air rooftop many times, at times alone, at times with other people. And interestingly it feels different walking with different people. "But of course!" you say, but technically I suppose it's one of those intriguing social phenomena, where one person somehow affects another nonverbally. Ok, less complicatedly, I suppose it's an indication of ease or how well people fall into rhythm.
Sometimes I'd want the walk to be over quickly, or even as soon as possible. Because I didn't like the insistence on the topic being discussed, or the topic itself, or the speaker. And I'd find myself walking that much faster, hurrying along to the end of the discussion to another subject or activity.
Usually I'd prefer the walk muted, because it's a quiet place but not exactly silent..it's got its own background noise going on that is rather soothing to hear. And it is interesting to recall how each person has their own threshold for silence. It's funny how all the hotels around there have hermetically sealed windows, because what's a city without its sounds? For all we know, perhaps even the leaves rustle differently here.
Sometimes I'd want the walk to be over quickly, or even as soon as possible. Because I didn't like the insistence on the topic being discussed, or the topic itself, or the speaker. And I'd find myself walking that much faster, hurrying along to the end of the discussion to another subject or activity.
Usually I'd prefer the walk muted, because it's a quiet place but not exactly silent..it's got its own background noise going on that is rather soothing to hear. And it is interesting to recall how each person has their own threshold for silence. It's funny how all the hotels around there have hermetically sealed windows, because what's a city without its sounds? For all we know, perhaps even the leaves rustle differently here.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home